Friday, June 24, 2011

Daily Devotion: Just thinking

So, I've been on a bit of a break! Please accept my apologies. I really had good intentions when I started this blog and plan to try to get back on track. But be forewarned, my summer schedule is NOT very organized, and we are gone a lot!

In my current summer Bible study, we have been encouraged to have "face time" with God daily. Not just praying like normal, but being prostrate before the Lord. Beth Moore's little phrase is "the way up is down". It has been humbling. Recently, after we returned from a weekend wedding, I was spending a little time on my face, and God reminded me that He uses ALL things around me to point to Him. I just don't always recognize it.

I had been thinking how good it felt to lay in my bed following a 3 1/2 hour road trip. That led to thinking how at the beginning of vacation it's always sooooo exciting. Even a road trip! Thinking about where you are going! Getting to eat in various places! Snacks in the van (all the things I won't keep in my house)! Then, you have fun while your there, but at some point you are ready to come home. Then, when you reach home, what joy! All of this entered my head while in face down position, and God said, "See. It's kind of like life. Starting the journey. . .everything on earth is exciting and new. Every little thing is interesting. Then, you journey through life a bit, and you start wishing you were home. And, the way home. . . is less exciting, kind of tiring, and you're just ready to rest. Then, you are home! What joy!!!! That is how it will be with Me once you arrive. What joy!"

I hadn't really thought about life like that but I think it's true! We are to press on in this life, but we should be eagerly awaiting our arrival at home!

Jesus said in John 14:1-3 (NASB)"Do not let your heart be troubled;believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also."

"How lovely are Your dwelling places, O LORD of hosts! My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD; My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God." (Psalm 84:1)

How lovely a dwelling place You have created for us here, but my soul longs for Your dwelling place surrounding Your throne where Satan has lost and battles are gone forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment