Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Devotion Day: All of Creation Sings

I love music! One thing I love most about it is that it is something that I can take from this world. Music will still abound when I meet my Creator. So awesome to think about! The following scriptures were part of a lesson from the Stepping Up study I just finished through Beth Moore. I had read the scriptures before, but now in a new light. . .

Job 38:7: God is talking to Job and asking some (what I would call) "sarcastic" questions, such as Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Then in verse 7 it says that during the creation, "the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy"!! Wow, music was already on it's way during the creation of the earth. The STARS sang! Angels shouted for joy! Can you picture it???

I guess I never thought about it much, but Psalm 150:6 says that all that has breath praise the Lord. So, the next time your dog barks for no reason maybe he's giving a shout out to his Creator. I'm sure living creatures, other than humans, are much more compliant in the praise department. Isaiah 55:12 says that the mountains and the hills will break forth with shouts of joy. Revelation 5:13 also adds that all created things (in, on, under heaven and in the sea) "speak" honor and glory to the Most High! Now that should be interesting to be a part of!

But what is even more awesome is that our God sings. Zephaniah 3:17 states that God rejoices over US with singing, in Matthew 26:30 Jesus sang the Psalms, and in Hebrews 2:10-12 Jesus sings praises to the Father! WOW! Thanks to Beth for bringing all these scriptures together!

In light of this, I wonder what He thinks about our music that is not praiseworthy.

Not judging, just wondering what He thinks about His creation once again twisting what He meant to glorify Him.

The overall Bible study was on the Psalms of Ascent. Psalm 124 says (paraphrased from HCSB), "If the Lord had not been on our side, let Israel say. . .Then the waters would have swept over us. Praise the Lord who has not let us be ripped apart!" What I love is Beth's interpretation, which makes you think. . .(from pg. 53 of her workbook), "If God hasn't been good to you, don't bother. If He's never rescued you, save your breath. But if He has, and you know He has, lift your voices and give Him the praise due His name!"

I'm wondering how much "wasted" breath I've uttered today? Better get busy praising!

Don't want the rocks to cry out!

"I tell you if these (His followers) become silent, the stones will cry out!" (Luke 19:40)

Praise the one, true God today!

No comments:

Post a Comment